Independence Hall, originally the Dizengoff House, is where Israel’s Declaration of Independence was signed, making it one of the most notable Israeli sites. Located in a historic location on Rothschild Boulevard, the building housed the Tel Aviv Museum of Art from 1932 to 1971.
In the main part of the building, on May 14, 1948, in the presence of the Jewish National Council, the state of Israel was established. David Ben-Gurion read the Declaration of Independence, Rabbi Fischman recited the blessing and the ceremony concluded with the singing of the Hatikvah, now the national anthem. In 1978 the building was restored and opened to the public, and it now houses exhibits relating to the signing of the declaration along with those relating to the history of Tel Aviv-Jaffa. The upper floors of the building house a Bible Museum featuring artworks with a Biblical theme, as well as archeological artifacts.