Church of the Holy Sepulcher
The Church site is venerated as Golgotha (Hill of Calvary), the place where Christ was crucified, making it a pilgrimage center for Christians from all around the world. The Church of the Holy Sepulcher is also identified as being the place of Jesus’ burial, and the place of his resurrection. The church has had a turbulent history, being almost completely destroyed, and when rebuilt suffering neglect, fire and earthquake damage. In 1959 the Church was renovated by Greek Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic and Roman Catholic custodians, each of whom guard their sections within the Church.
Highlights of a visit include the first century exterior façade of the Church built by the Crusaders, the Stone of Unction, there to commemorate the preparation of Jesus’ body for burial, and behind this a mosaic depicting the scene. The Rotunda features surviving 4th century columns, and marks the site of Christ’s tomb, an area that is now surmounted by a large dome.